Rollers for Pregnancy, Labor, and Birth

Posted by Haylee Crowley on

So many of you have asked about rollers for labor and after birth, and I'm finally able to share what I used! I also wrote Posey's birth story at the end, in case you want to read :)

I'd recommend making your rollers before you're this big and uncomfortable 😂  It will make the process a little more enjoyable, I think.

I made a total of 6 rollers and kept them in Posey's custom adventure bag from Modern Makerie. I love this bag for rollers and kept it in my hospital bag until after we had Posey then it moved to my diaper bag with new rollers and oils!

I used our rainbow rollers where we donate $1 per bottle sold to the nonprofit: Share Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support. I also used colorful caps from The Root and Petal. Since Posey is our rainbow baby, I thought it was fitting! 

Here are each of the blends I created and how I used them. For rollers that I knew I wouldn't use after labor, I only filled the bottles about halfway with carrier oil. I used fractionated coconut oil, and for Posey's rollers Beautycounter's baby oil as the carrier oil. 

10 drops peppermint 
6 drops lemon myrtle
3 drops En-R-Gee (Young Living blend of:  Rosemary, Juniper, Lemongrass, Nutmeg, Balsam Fir, Clove, and Black Pepper)
During labor when I would feel tired, or need a pick me up, I would smell this and roll it on the back of my neck. Peppermint isn't advised to use when baby is born because it may affect milk supply, so I wouldn't use this once you start pushing.
I added a carnelian gemstone roller top to help with energy levels as well. It may also help to invigorate body & mind and increase motivation. Although, meeting your babe is really all the motivation you need to get through labor usually :) 

Hurry up
10 drops clary sage
4 drops jasmine
4 drops cypress
6 drops ylang ylang
The hurry up blend was used on my inner ankles once contractions had started and I wanted to help speed things along. I tried to use it every hour while I was laboring at home, and then it didn't make it in the hospital bag with us and I wish it had! My doula asked if I had clary sage oil with me while I was in transition and sadly I didn't. Maybe make two of this one and have one in your bag so you don'y forget it like I did!
15 drops Valor  (Young Living blend of: Black spruce, Camphor, Blue tansy, Frankincense, and Geranium)
8 drops Joy  (Young Living blend of: Bergamot, Ylang ylang, Geranium, Lemon, Coriander, Tangerine, Jasmine, Roman chamomile, Palmarosa, and Rose)
5 drops orange
I used the courage blend when I felt discouraged or when I had any fears. I would smell it from the bottle and also roll it on my wrists. I added an Amazonite gemstone roller top (currently its out of stock, but you can get amazonite in your roller here) to help dispel negative energy, worry, and fear. Plus it's my favorite color and matches the lid perfectly :)
10 drops Stress Away  (Young Living blend of: Copaiba, Lime, Cedarwood, Vanilla, Ocotea and Lavender)
5 drops neroli
3 drops rose
I created this to use as my perfume and I use it every day. I used it leading up to Posey's birth as well as after. It helps me a lot when I'm feeling overwhelmed, which can happen a lot as a new mama. Rose is an expensive oil and I never allowed myself to use it (aside from smelling from the bottle) until this roller. It is such a nice treat which I thought was important for myself!
I added a rhodonite gemstone roller top to which may help balance emotions and assist with self-love. 
15 drops copaiba
7 drops lavender
7 drops geranium
The Owie roller was made to use on my tummy after Posey was born to help with getting the placenta out as well as with after birth contractions. Sadly I didn't remember to use it after Posey was born, and looking back it would have been smart of me to tell my doula so that she could have done that for me! Luckily, the placenta came out easily and I didn't have any after birth contractions (though I've heard they get worse after each subsequent birth so I will definitely remember for next time!)
1 drop gentle baby
I use this on Posey for any skin issues (dry skin is our biggest concern currently) and I also rub it on her feet and give her a little foot massage. She loves it and almost instantly relaxes which is so cute to watch. 
And here is Posey's birth story (fair warning, its not short 😂)
Posey Crowley Guinane
December 25, 6:25am
7lbs 15oz
19 inches
Born 40+1
Early labor: 16.5 hours
Active labor: 8 hours
Transition: 4 hours
Pushing: 1.5 hours
After 2 miscarriages and then trying to get pregnant for over a year, we were going to be starting clomid the following month. I told my husband we should take the month off from focusing on getting pregnant since we would most likely be pregnant in a few months with clomid- plus if we got pregnant this month the baby would be due right around Christmas, and that wouldn’t be very fun. 😳 Clearly, Posey heard this and was a determined little girl.

Contractions started overnight on the 23rd/24th but I slept through most of them only waking up a couple of times because of them. I did, however, sleep terribly because we ate Skipolinis famous labor inducing pizza for dinner on the 23rd which gave me the worst heartburn of the entire pregnancy- but perhaps it worked?

The morning of the 24th contractions continued and I really thought at some point they would stop. The 24th was my due date and I knew how uncommon it was to deliver on your due date! My mom, sister, and Grandma were coming over to have dinner and I texted them letting them know I was having contractions so maybe they should come over and we could eat earlier just in case.

My family arrived and we opened presents and decorated cookies while waiting for  dinner to cook. My contractions continued to get stronger but were still very manageable where I could talk and walk through them. We ate dinner around 4 and I was ready for everyone to leave by the time we finished, so we said goodbye and they wished us luck!

By about 5:30, I was ready for our doula to join us at home. My husband put on Harry Potter for us to watch (my fav 🤗⚡️) and my doula helped me by timing my contractions and doing massage and acupressure through them.

By about 8pm my contractions were lasting a minute and were 1-3 mins apart. I had to stop to breathe through them but still felt they were very manageable and in between would feel normal, having conversations etc. My doula wasn’t sure what to do since contractions were close together, but I was so calm through everything- she said I was very hard to read 😂

By 8:30 we agreed I was ready to go to the hospital so we packed the car and went! When we arrived they made us sign a bunch of paperwork and then the lady asked if I was being induced 😳🤔🙄 and I couldn’t believe I had to tell her no, I’m in labor now.

As we walked down the hall, my OB was on call that night and said to us (Posey really)- Good girl! Right on time! We were excited that she was the doctor on call. Her name is also Hailey, and she performed the version that flipped Posey from breech just a couple weeks earlier!

We got to our room and the nurses were ready for us- we were the only people in labor and delivery! They checked me and I was at 5cm. I was slightly disappointed only because I had already been at 3cm before going into labor and contractions felt pretty intense by this point and I knew I still had a ways to go. The nurses started to get me ready for wireless monitoring and had to scratch my skin with sandpaper like tape to get the sensors to stick. The monitor wasn’t working so they had to rescratch me which hurt a lot- and eventually had to move us to a different room where they got the monitor to work.

At this point labor gets a little fuzzy. I remember my doula telling me to try different things like walking, changing positions and eventually suggested the shower. It was the most wonderful shower I’d ever had- it really helped slow the contractions so I could rest a little. The wireless monitor wasn’t handling the shower well though and my husband would try to stick it back on but it would hurt every time it touched my skin so I asked to take it off and be monitored intermittently to which the nurses agreed.

After spending about 45 mins in the shower, I continued to labor mostly on the bed in different positions because contractions hurt too bad while I was standing. My doula wanted to get my water to break because she knew it would help speed things along so I laid with a peanut ball between my legs and eventually my water did break!

This entire part of labor is still very fuzzy for me, I felt like I was yelling through each contraction (my husband says I wasn’t) and I just remember squeezing the bed rail as hard as I could to get through them.  Looking back our best guess was that I was in transition for 4 hours. I never asked for an epidural, but do remember asking to just be done. Like I guess I thought I could just go lay down and sleep through the rest? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Transition makes you so logical.

Eventually my body starting pushing- like it wanted everything out of my body so I also threw up. The nurses in their sweet voices were like it’s not time to push Haylee and I yelled back I’m not trying to- it’s my body, I can’t control it! 😂

I was only at 9cm I think by this point but my body wasn’t really stopping so they brought in the doctor just to check and she gave the go ahead to push!

Pushing was so much harder than I thought it would be, I understood what they wanted me to do, but physically it was exhausting. After an hour and a half of pushing, my Dr. said she would give me one more contraction to get her out on my own and then would need to use a vacuum to help get her out since her heart rate had declined. I remember thinking and possibly saying yes please just get her out! They did end up using the vacuum and my doctor said this is the lowest baby she’s ever had to use a vacuum on- she’s practically already out. And with just one push and the vacuum our girl was here!

They put her immediately skin to skin and after about 5 minutes, she wasn’t crying well so they took her to the warmer to check her and suction out fluid. She was only there for a few minutes and they brought her right back and we had skin to skin for over an hour.

Overall, our birth went really well with almost no interventions and we loved the hospital staff. They were all so kind and respectful during the entire process. Though I do remember thinking after it was over- I want the epidural next time. But looking back now that a month has passed I think I could do it again, as long as it’s shorter the second time like everyone promises 😂

Total time from first contraction to her birth: 30 hours

← Older Post Newer Post →